Saturday 10 February 2007

Health and ICT project

Spent the afternoon with Flis Henwood and Liz Guy from Brighton Uni, who are leading a project about how people use ICT to address their own issues of and weight, especially focusing on obesity.
Flis presented to various people from the Interact Lab at Sussex University - several of whom I already knew.
The presentation helped enormously - showing me the academic take on this research.
My role is to help think about the connection between the research activity and the local community, in various forms. Seeing Flis the Professor in what is, to me, a highly academic mode helped set it in context and gave me fresh insight on issues I've been associated with but have no academic connetcion with. This included Peter Day's work with SCIP on the CNA project.
Flis and Liz and I then spent the rest of the afternoon looking ahead and thinking about possible paths the project could follow. This was really interesting as a way of sketching in the known boundaries for what could be an incredibly wide-ranging project.
I hope I helped both broaden the horizon and bring some focus, mainly drawing on my work with Peter Day.

No comments: